Tuesday 12 February 2019

Chronic stuff - a few ramblings

"You must be in a lot of pain....?"

Each person asking me this question usually includes the 'head-tilt of compassion' - you know what I mean.  
Head just slightly tilted to one side, look of concern on their face.

To be honest, I just want to help them get their head straight again, as it doesn't look comfortable, and I'm concerned they will get neck ache if they keep the pose for too long...

"Must I...?" I usually reply.

(That confuses most people!)


Cerebral Palsy pain

*Analogy alert*

Think of an orchestra.  

Only the double bases, the trombones, and the bassoons can be heard.  They are playing the lowest chord their pitch will allow.  

And someone's not quite in tune.

That's how my muscles and joints feel most of the time.  

It's low level. It's background.  It's slightly annoying. 

The volume can be turned down a little with painkillers, sometimes.  

Arthritis pain

Same orchestra.  

This time, 2 oboe players have fallen out with each other, and the whole orchestra.  

Every now and again they suddenly, and without warning, play a single clashing note, very loudly.  

It cuts through everything else like a knife.

That's my left hip.  And it laughs in the face of painkillers.

It only happens sometimes...


So, yes.  I guess I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment